Monday, December 14, 2009

Home for the Holidays


Kate and I have left the green pastures of northern England for the snow of the upper Midwest for almost three weeks. We have been back for the last five days and have both made trips to our parents' houses as well as some visiting of friends.

The cabin trip to the U.P. was canceled this year due to "weather," but I'm still pretty sure we could have made it. Instead we went to some of Adam's relatives' cottage. It was much closer, it had running water, electricity, and didn't involve a trudge through a half mile of snow to get to it. Needless to say, I was a bit disappointed, but we were able to spend the weekend catching up, so it wasn't all bad news.


We were also able to get everyone's family together at Mike's house for an evening. It's a bit strange to see so many children running around since I can remember when we all rode our bikes around talking about how crazy it would be when we had our driving licenses in a few years. It's like everyone magically became old in an instant. Not old, maybe, but adults. There is no denying it; we are all productive members of adult society. Although, I still have the same mountain bike from back in the day, so we can't be that old.



Yesterday Kate and I went skiing/snowboarding with my brother, Mike, and Claire. Today we are off to Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon for a few days. After that, it's my little sister's graduation and then less than a week before flying back to the UK. Time is passing quickly.

2 comments:

michael said...

It was great to meet Kate and get to see you during your trip. Thanks for posting the pics.

katefischer said...

Thank you for leaving out the part about my many many falls while ski- snowboard-ing.