Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Free & Clear

I am happy to report that after 2 years of forking out 8.5% interest, I now own my land in Upstate New York outright. If anyone is in the area of Wolf Lake State Park (north west Adirondacks) and wants a place to camp with plenty of space and firewood (but no shelter or water), look no further.

My grand plan is to build a cabin out there some day. Either that or possibly sell the land in order to buy something on the water. The more I think about it, the more I realize how crucial (albeit expensive) water is to a property. I do like the location, though. It is within a couple of miles from multiple state forests (Wolf Lake, Fire-Fall, and Trout Lake) totalling over 7,000 acres. Not only that, but the 31 acres I have is bordered on two sides by road, one side by private land, and the fourth side is adjoining county land, which makes it seem larger than it is. It is only 30 miles to Canada, 80 miles to Ottawa, 130 miles to Montreal, and less than 60 miles to Lake Ontario. The nearest lake is one mile away, but the property itself has nothing more than a trickling stream. It may not have any fish, but I'm sure it is well stocked with Giardia and Cryptosporidium.

After looking at the stats for the area on the Census Bureau's website, it doesn't seem to be a very happening place to live. I definitely don't see myself ever living there year-round. It would be a nice place to visit. Sadly, if I stay in my career field, I will have no choice but to eventually live in Washington, DC. The 500 mile drive isn't very feasible for a weekend, but it is definitely more feasible than the commute I have right now.

Pictures are on the way...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sign me up for a camping in 2020.sully

Anonymous said...

Well said.