Saturday, August 04, 2007

Jammin'

After only three short weeks of waiting, I got my Amazon order in. It is music. The past day or so I have been using my TV and DVD player to listen to my new music, but it seemed like such as waste of energy, not to mention bothersome, to listen that way. I just got done ripping the music to my MP3 players, so I should be all set for listening without the 27" TV blaring that blue screen at me from across the room.

I had never heard of Feist until I was reading one of the blogs to which Jim contributes. The review of her new CD was good enough that I bought both albums mentioned in the review ("The Reminder" and "Let It Die") without ever hearing her sing. It was as good purchase (click on the review link and you just may but it, too).

And, of course, you can never go wrong with Interpol. They are one of those bands who's music makes me remember where and when I heard them. The first time I ever heard them was in college. My TA for American History 1919-1945 was playing their album "Turn On the Bright Lights" before class. The song that specifically stuck with me was NYC, which was their biggest success off that album. Their next album, "Antics," I bought just before taking a trip. It was my theme music during my Christmas 2004 visit to New York to hang out with my grade school pen-pal (yeah, I said it. ), Kate. Whenever I hear that album, I am back in New York City. This last album, "Our Love to Admire" just may become associated with Japan. Time will tell.

Other than that, not too much new (obviously, when I write about getting CDs in the mail, there isn't "too much new" and definitely not anything exciting going on). Today is the day that I, armed with my new albums, will take to my car and explore the island. These past three weeks I have fallen into a very exciting Friday night pattern which has bled into the whole weekend. I get off of work around 6:30 on Friday, eat some Ramen, get a few movies, and do laundry. Somehow I look forward to those evenings. Something about fresh clothes, junk food, and movies is appealing. Then, I generally sleep 12 hours and spend the rest of the weekend reading. Not this weekend, though. Today I go out! (I just need to get off the computer...)

1 comment:

michael said...

Jim has great music recs. I am not surprised you like similar stuff.