Monday, September 10, 2007

Firetruck!

This weekend started off bad and only got worse.

On Friday night, I did something out of character: I used a microwave oven. Generally, I am against using it. In my apartment in Hawaii, I stashed it away in the bathroom closet. Before Friday night, I hadn't used a microwave in about 6 years. There's the background info...

Last week seemed like a really long week, even though I only officially worked Wednesday-Friday. I was still tired and sore from all of the walking in Taiwan (does that make me an old man?), so I got 3 movies and a laptop from work and locked myself in my room. I also really wanted popcorn. Unfortunately, I can't cook popcorn in a coffee pot, so I had to buy the microwaveable kind.

I was a bit out of practice using a microwave and was really enjoying watching the Matrix. I put the popcorn on for 5 minutes. When the timer had about 30 seconds left, I noticed some smoke coming out of the bag, so I stopped the microwave and opened the door. Apparently it was a lot of smoke. About 10 seconds after I opened the microwave door, the fire alarm went off in the hallway. I thought, "I really hope I didn't do that." But I already knew that I did.

The Japanese firetruck arrived about 7 minutes later. All I kept thinking was "Ding Ding" (be sure to click on page two. The link is not appropriate for children or those that are easily offended). It was about 11:15pm and the rest of the residents were standing in a huddle outside the building when I came out. "Sorry, it was me. I burned some popcorn," was all I could really say. I hadn't even met my neighbors before that, so it was a good first impression.

I tried explaining to the Japanese firefighters that I burned popcorn. One of them understood my story. He turned to the others and blurted something in Japanese. All I heard was, "blah blah blah blah pop-o-corn blah blah blah." They checked out my room (which was a mess, but whatever) and were on their merry way. I stayed up watching movies until after 2:00am.

At 5:15am I got a phone call. It turns out that 3 of the guys that work for me decided to borrow a car and illegally drive to a bar. As they were leaving the bar, they got into a car accident with a Japanese local. It was nothing serious and the driver passed the breathalyzer, but when they found out that he didn't have a license, they took him to jail.

That meant I got to work an extra 21 hours this weekend. Luckily, I am on salary. Otherwise, I would be racking up some overtime out here.

4 comments:

Sheila said...

Sounds like it will probably be another 6 years before you use a microwave again.

By the way, was there much going on with the hurricane that was out your way?

And also, I ordered a panoramic picture from shutterfly. I chose the 8.5x11 sheet, and they printed the picture to fit landscape-wise with white spaces along the top and bottom. The photo itself is pretty small, so I'll definitely go up in size next time.

Eric said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eric said...

That's funny. I deleted my own comment from last night and now it looks like I laid the smack down on someone by deleting their comment.

I didn't know anything about a hurricane, but it has been raining like crazy lately, so now I know why. I am a bit separated from the news out here, which is kind of nice.

I will have to look into the printing and edge trimming option. It seems like someone would have come up with a more efficient way to print panoramic pictures by now. Perhaps someone with some free time could start up www.panoramicprints.com? You can use my idea if I get free prints!

James said...

hi
nice pictures
I a chilean, live in Santiago
if you visit Chile, i can show you the best places, is a quiet and pacefull country.
regards from Chile and Shaná Tová.
http://jlizamavera.blogspot.com/
jlizamavera@gmail.com