Sunday, August 03, 2008

Pen Pal


The story of my pen pal...

Twelve years ago I met Kate at some sort of church function in Green Bay. We were both there against our will and she introduced herself to me because she said I was the only person that looked more miserable than her. That was back in the glory days of skateboarding and long hair. We hung out that weekend and became pen pals. We have kept up, on and off, for the past dozen years, meeting up occasionally throughout high school and college. I went to see her a couple of time in New York when I was living on the East Coast.

That brings us to a little over a month ago. Through the magic of Facebook (not that creepy Myspace business), we found out that Kate had some time off and viola! (with an accent in there somewhere) She was on a plane for a much needed vacation in the land of sunshine and slippahs.


We had a lot of fun. We kept the plans simple and flexible and ended up fitting in a lot of sights in her short 5 days here. We had an overnighter at the sand bar, went to Maunawili Falls, went surfing (sort of), hung out on the beach, hiked the Lanikai pill boxes, took a quick drive through Waikiki (the best way to see Waikiki...), and enjoyed lots of conversation over dinners of fish and rice (and a brat in order to pay homage to our Wisconsin roots). Oh, yeah, Kate also went skydiving when I was at work. I'm pretty sure that was one of her highlights.


Other than that, things have been plugging along. I have been doing a lot of what I always do. I go to the sand bar, I have dinners at my house, and I sometimes hike or go to the beach. This past weekend on the boat I asked myself if I should be expanding my horizons a little. I do pretty much the same thing, all the time. The answer I came back with was, yes, it's good to mix it up, but no, there's really no need to change. I just really love doing what I do. Until that changes, what's the point in forcing change. If it's not broken, don't fix it, right?

2 comments:

katefischer said...

I'm sitting in class, back in NY. This post pretty much is the perfect description of the trip. nice.
-penpal

katefischer said...

p.s. the skydiving was amazing but the highlight was hanging out with my pen pal again. :-)