Sunday, January 30, 2011

Progress... Sort Of

Homemade meads of various strength. Drinking is pending successful completion of the floor. I imagine drinking mead on a warm porcelain floor was a dream of the ancients.

Ever since knowing the joy of a heated floor on a fateful night in a rented Helsinki apartment, I have been jonesing for a heated floor in my flat. This weekend was supposed to be the weekend that I made the dream come true. I have the porcelain tiles for the kitchen, the stone for the bathroom, the underfloor heating kit, grout, a wet tile cutter (with a diamond blade that cost almost as much as the tile cutter), and everything else I could think of.

As it turns out, I didn't think of everything. First off, the thermostat required a 30mA fused RCD something or other. I couldn't find that locally, so it's in the mail. My 4' level is still in the mail. And, after double checking the math, it turns out I am slightly short on my porcelain tiles.

Basically, I balked this weekend. It is Sunday evening and I haven't even finished ripping up the old linoleum. In my defense, I got the first couple of layers up without issue, but the last layer is put down with so much glue that I am actually scraping off a layer of concrete as I go. I've worn my crowbar down to a nub already and I'm bleeding from just about every knuckle, my wrist, and my foot. This project is going to take longer than I was hoping, but that's half the fun.

Before

Under Layer One

Under Layer Two

Cement Floor (minus the toughest bits of linoleum)

The bathroom, on the other hand, took less than a minute. No glue and only one layer of linoleum. It was like made-for-tv easy.



Other than that, this month has included a couple of nights out with friends, some hiking, sightseeing, and way too many sporting events in the evening. I'm looking forward to one of my basketball leagues finishing up in the next couple of weeks. Volleyball will be done in March, as will the other basketball league. After that, no more organized sports until next autumn.

Beautiful hike along the Pennine Way near Hawes.

Mount Grace Priory. Each monk got his own multi room house with a fireplace, running water, and a garden. The houses were as big as my flat. If I were to ever go back in time and become a monk, Mount Grace would be the place.

5 comments:

DH said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
DH said...

If your brew doesn't turn out you can always make vinegar out of what's left over.

I bought some mycoderma aceti from a brewing supply store here and am in the process of making red wine and apple cider vinegars from old wine and fermented cider. Should be done in time for your birthday :)

Morris Lessman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eric said...

It seems like everyone is getting into the home brew. It's probably due to the impending zombie invasion. People cannot go without booze. There is a theory out there that humans began farming and giving up the nomadic lifestyle in order to have a constant supply of alcohol. Long story short, even if the booze tastes like vinegar, as long as it's alcoholic, someone will drink it. We are predisposed to do so. Good luck turning old wine into new wine!

DH said...

Evolution will support your theory when these monkeys set up their own distillery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYuIYNaKynI