Monday, July 31, 2006

Touch and Go


Today Danny and I went sailing. My big goal for the day was to get by without using the motor. Since I am on a mooring ball and not a slip on the pier, it is a big hassle if I use the motor. The reason being that I don't have a salt water specific motor, so I have to flush the system after each use. I didn't even know they had salt water motors before I bought mine, but seeing as they are twice the price of regular fresh water motors, I probably wouldn't have bought one any way.

We made it to the sand bar without motoring, but we had some trouble landing. On the second pass I got the anchor out, but it didn't grip and we ended up almost T-boning another boat. We didn't hit the boat, but we had the anchor dragging behind us and it was a little weird, truth be told.

We tried once more to hang out on the sand bar, but it wasn't to be. We made our way back to the mooring ball and landed on the first try, without the motor. Funny how that works. A mile strip of sand isn't do able, but a 12" floating ball is.

After that we returned to the fine tradition of sushi Sunday. Good times.

1 comment:

michael said...

Sounds like you are getting better and better. I am going to Alaska in a few weeks and will spend most of my time there at sea. Wish me luck!