Sunday, October 03, 2010

1... 2... 3... Floor

Minus the trim work, the hallway in my flat has been updated. My goal is to get rid of all linoleum before next spring. All that is left is the kitchen and bathroom. The kitchen tiles are on order and I have purchased all of the necessary tools to install them. I'm curious to see what my skill level with an angle grinder is, considering each poorly cut or broken tile will cost me about $10.

1. Start of the project: old linoleum still in place. It wasn't bad, but linoleum sticks to your feet, is cold in the winter, and just doesn't have the same homey feel as real wood.

2. Linoleum gone. Uneven concrete below. This was taken after a lot of de-humidifying and bleaching of some weird white water/mold stains.

3. Making slow progress. The uneveness of the floor led to some weird configurations and stacking of the underlayer / moisture barrier. There is still a bit of downhill and uphill in the floor, but people in England tend to not be as concerned with the details. I think it comes with having houses that are hundreds of years old (and seem to have been built before right angles were invented).

4. Finished (sort of). The trim work is always delicate work, which I'm not so good at. Plus, I need to extend the TV cable. It doesn't have enough length in it to tuck along the sides and it seems that just cutting it would be a cruel trick for anyone who lives here and decides to have a TV hooked up in one of the bedrooms. I still don't have my TV hooked up in the living room, but the cables don't fit into my American TV's jacks and I don't really care about watching TV as long as I have a steady supply of TV-on-DVD available to me.


1 comment:

Sheila said...

The floor looks great. And something should be said about the last picture. I'm just not sure what.