Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Blood!, Gorham Scar, and Herring




European rules basketball is a bit more physical than American style. I've gotten used to it playing over the last year or so, but that doesn't prevent the random injury. In February, it was the broken wrist, last week, I got hit in the face with a fist/elbow while trying to take a charge. I ended up bleeding all over the court and getting five stitches. In case you were wondering, no whistle on the play. In fact, the refs ran past my as the ball made its way down to the other end of the court.





This weekend we went with a few friends to Gordale Scar. We went last year around this time, and it is still one of my favorite hikes. Great scenery. I found out that the scar was a cave at one point, but that the roof collapsed, making the scar. That would have been an amazingly large cave. The pictures don't do the place justice. It is immense.


The stitches came out today, which is good because tomorrow I leave for Scandinavia. I am flying into Helsinki, but I am going to try to catch the last ferry to Tallinn, Estonia tomorrow night. From there, I will come back to Finland on Friday to meet Kate and we will fly to Oslo on Sunday. Our friend Lewis (see the NZ post from April/May 2009) lives in Norway and we plan on seeing some fjords with him (more car camping?). After that, a day and a half in Stockholm and back to the UK. Unfortunately, we won't have too much time to see anything but the cities, but it should be a fun trip. I'm looking forward to eating cold, raw fish for breakfast. I love fish any time of the day. No joke.


No comments: